Yoga means unite – integrating mind, body and spirit.
Yoga is an ancient practice that combines physical poses with personal observances, breathing techniques and mindfulness to help you connect back with yourself to feel alive and at peace.
In the West, yoga is associated with the physical poses and has become popular as a form of exercise to help strengthen and tone the muscles, develop flexibility and find balance, all of which help to rid the body and mind from tension and stress.
In addition to the physical benefits of yoga, many people are discovering how yoga can help them deal with the stress of their daily lives. Yoga is not an intellectual practice and through developing mindfulness, or concentrating on what we are doing, we start to cultivate a calm mind. In yoga we get out of the mind and into the body.
Each class consists of a sequence of standing or seated poses that will either stretch or strengthen the muscles. Awareness of the breath is used to bring focus into the body helping to give the mind a break from racing thoughts.
Benefits of yoga
- Increased flexibility – yoga poses stretch not just the muscles but also the body’s connective tissue
- Increased strength – yoga builds muscle strength, especially core and upper body strength
- Improved posture – yoga brings awareness to how we carry ourselves and the positioning of our spine
- Improved balance – yoga poses strengthen the feet, ankles and legs, as well as improving our ability to focus
- Improved bone health – yoga is a weight bearing activity which builds bone density and improves overall bone health
- Improved blood flow and circulation – the yoga sequences are designed to increased the flow of blood to our organs, glands and tissue
- Increased lymphatic drainage – yoga poses stimulate the lymph fluid, helping the body to release toxins from the cellular level
- Improved sleep – yoga helps the body and mind to relax and calms the nervous system, leading to better quality sleep
- Reduced stress levels – yoga helps to balance the adrenal glands, releases tension from the body and has a calming affect on the nervous system